About Kanagawa Prefectural Museum of Natural History
Founded in 1995, the Kanagawa Prefectural Museum of Natural History is a research facility dedicated to inspiring discovery about the natural world through its exhibitions and education programs. Located in Hakone area, the famous hot-spring resort near Tokyo, the museum features impressive exhibitions and collections about the formation of solar system, history of the Earth, evolution of life, biodiversity, and nature from Sagami Bay to Hakone volcano.
1. The Earth
This section introduces the dramatic formation of the earth 4.6 billion years ago, and the dynamic structure and geological activities of the planet through the exhibits of meteorites, scenery from various parts of the world, and rocks and minerals. Visitors can also learn how living organisms born on the earth have greatly altered the natural environment.
Life has continued to evolve by adapting itself well to various changes in the earth's natural environment, expanding its habitats from the ocean to the land. Numerous real specimens show the ways in which the various life forms flourished on our planet.
Kanagawa Prefecture is located roughly in the center of Japan, and because it is blessed with a warm climate and has a varied topography, it has become home to a wide range of living creatures. The history of the land of Kanagawa, as well as the creatures living there and in Sagami Bay, are introduced here.
4. Humans in Nature
The earth's current environment has been built through a long process of 4.6 billion years. The exhibits encourage viewers to think about human beings "living in harmony" with all other creatures on our "precious and irreplaceable planet."
5. Jumbo Book Exhibition
This exhibition comprises of 3.2-meter-tall（10.5-foot-tall）display cases in the form of giant encyclopedia. Real specimens owned by the museum are displayed based on 27 different themes.
SEISA Museum Theater Program Information
SEISA Museum Theater is currently closed due to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
|Program (in Japanese language only)||Regular Days||School Vacation Periods|
|"Earth Planet of Life The Dawn of Life"||9:30 - 9:45||9:30 - 9:45|
|"Earth Planet of Life The Dance of Life"||10:00 - 10:15||10:00 - 10:15|
|"Hakone - an Active Volcano Covered in Flowers"||10:30 - 10:50||10:30 - 10:50|
"Challenge by the mystery man, Kaijin Nature Land"
11:30 - 11:50
13:00 - 13:20
11:30 - 11:50
12:30 - 12:50
13:30 - 13:50
|"Earth Planet of Life The Dawn of Life"||14:00 - 14:15||14:30 - 14:45|
|"Earth Planet of Life The Dance of Life"||14:30 - 14:45||15:00 - 15:15|
|"Hakone - an Active Volcano Covered in Flowers"||15:00 - 15:20||15:30 - 15:50|
School Vacation Period
- "School Vacation Periods" include spring and summer vacations, as well as the so-called Golden Week national holidays.
- There may be cancellation of the programs or changes to the venue without notice.
- Eating and drinking is restricted to the lounges and the terrace.
- Smoking is also restricted to the terrace.
- Please take your garbage with you.
- Please refrain from entering the museum with your per except a guide dog and an assistance dog.
Hakone Tozan Railway 3 min. walk from Iriuda Station
National Route 1
Turn off at Chikyu Hakubutsukan-mae ("Museum of Natural History") intersection
- Note: parking is free of charge (capacity: 110 passenger vehicles)
- Parking lot may not be available when school is off, such as spring vacation, summer vacation, and the holidays in May. So, train is recommended to come to the museum. Odakyu Line also runs to Hakone Yumoto Station.
9:00 to 16:30 (entry by 16:00)
- Mondays (or the following weekday if Mon. falls on a national holiday or substitute holiday)
- Facility maintenance holidays (Second Tue. Of every month)
- Year-end and New Year holiday period (Dec. 28 to Jan. ４)
- Note: The museum may have unscheduled closings.
We only accept cash.
- Age 20 to 64 (excluding students): ¥520 (¥410)
- Age 15 to 19,students (excluding high school students): ¥300 (¥200)
- High school students and visitors age 65 or older: ¥100 (¥100)
- Junior high school students and younger children: free
- Fees listed in parentheses ( ) are discounted admission for groups of 20 people or more.
- Students and visitors age 65 or older are requested to present verification of age (passport, driver's license, etc.).
- This museum offers discounts for holders of Odakyu Electric Railway's Hakone Freepass, Hakone Tozan Railway's train and bus free pass, Izuhakone Railway's Hakone Smile Coupon, etc.
Exhibition Guide Service
- Online Exhibition Guide Service (TEXT ONLY) is available for the ground floor. Please access following website through your mobile phone or smartphone.
English guide service is TEXT ONLY, NO AUDIO SERVICE. Sorry!!
Visitors in the group are advised to make a reservation for a parking lot for their bus and admission tickets. Receptions hours are between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Kanagawa Prefectural Museum of Natural History
499 Iryuda, Odawara, Kanagawa 250-0031, Japan